Thank you for reading my blog! I've started this blog to share my ultimate comfort foods with everyone, or well the foods that I find comfort from! I hope you enjoy, and please leave me feedback on what you think about it!! Or leave me a comment and let me know you're reading :)

Friday, October 7, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup



Chicken Tortilla Soup *The PERFECT comfort food*


The past week has been a really hard week for me. I have been searching for comfort in clothes, food, music, and tv shows. The thing that has helped me the most was Chicken Tortilla Soup... Yes, it may still be in the 90's in Texas, but I'm pretending its Fall. Long sleeve shirts, soup... mmmm. SO I thought I would share my recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup...





You start off by browning 1 pound of chicken in 3 tablespoons of butter.


Then add in 1 minced onion and 2 garlic cloves
Cook until browned.
Then add in the enchilada sauce, 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. 
Pour in 4 cups of Chicken Broth
Stir all together and add 1 Cup of chedder cheese, and 1 can of black beans...
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 20-30 mintues or until chicken is easily shredded.
Remove bay leafs, shred chicken, mix throughly, then serve!
Add chips, more cheese, and enjoy!

I make a homemade enchilada sauce that I use in the soup. I also think it is important to use fire roasted diced tomatoes because it gives it a nice smokey taste... You can also add 1 cup of rice straight to the soup and cook until the rice is done.  This will allow the rice to soak up the nice smokey flavor... If you do decide to add rice I would add in another cup of chicken broth...


  • 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
  • 3 TBSP Butter
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can Black Beans
  • 4 Cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 bay leafs
  • 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 Bag Tortilla Chips

1 comment: